yum --releasever=18 upgrade
Two packages have unresolved dependencies. One is related with ABRT, so I simply removed abrt. The other is NetworkManager-gnome, which seems is replaced by network-manager-applet. Why NetworkManager-gtk is handled by "--obsoletes" rules, but this one is not? Removed it with rpm "--nodeps".
Install 29 Packages (+121 Dependent packages)
Upgrade 1951 Packages (+ 1 Dependent package)
Remove 2 Packages (+ 1 Dependent package)
Total download size: 2.1 G
Is this ok [y/N]: y
This is a typical software release:
|(2012-11-13 Features 100% Complete)|
2012-10-02 2012-10-09 2012-10-16 2012-10-23 2012-10-30 2012-11-06
Especially true if it is an enterprise level software product. Unfortunately Fedora is an enterprise level product.
edit: need to install fedora-release, rpmfusion-(non)free-release with "--nogpgcheck" option; need to remove Django too (python-django conflict); need to remove NetworkManager-gtk with "--nodeps" option (libnm-gtk conflict). Installation started at 2:18am!
edit: cannot find user "jetty" so systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service cannot start. And some other little problems, but now system is restored to a working state at 9:14am. Did a lot of "groupinstall", "reinstall @^...", and "distro-sync". The new font looks even better!
edit: so far there are a few errors, google chrome depends on libudev.so.0 rhbz
and pulseaudio has detected no sound (pavucontrol says current configuration is "Digital output", revert to "Analog output" solves the problem). Shut the lid and system hang (cannot reproduce). Another issue is s-c-kickstart miss python dependency in anaconda rhbz
There would be two "en" input sources, as well as Chinese (intelligent pinyin), for me I'd remove the duplcate "en" input source. Using im-chooser would prompt "Failed to switch. Current desktop isn't targeted by Input Method." So I removed it in the "region and language settings" dialog (edit: I found it in dconf-editor that one is "xkb:us" and the other is "ibus:en", and all "ibus" input sources are imported from old config. Once removed, "ibus:en" cannot get added back. There is a "zh" input source that behaves like Windows' "chinese - english keyboard", code is "ibus:cn").
The input source switch shortcuts are not defined, I set to ctrl-super-space, because either ctrl-space or super-space are not so responsive upon the first press -- usually a space is entered at first. It can be set
to ctrl-shift_L through gnome-tweak-tool, but also have the same not so responsive behavior (must press twice at first). Now I understand the reason of gnome-tweak-tool: there is not enough resource to do something on the UI. And the GNOME desktop would never be perfect due to the same reason.